Thank-o for Fanco: Young Suburban Professional Writes stuff.

Yeah, I don't write here anymore. Check out Detroit Church Blog. detroitchurchblog.blogspot.com

Monday, April 03, 2006

Clustering

Clustering... It's happening all over the AOD (Archdiocese of Detroit)

The parish in which I grew up, St. Genevieve's is clustering with St. Maurice's. I went there this past weekend. Other than a few minor liturgical abuses, the place seems nice. The homily was terrible, but that pastor is retiring. Both parishes will be resided over by Fr. Howard Vogan of St. Genevieve's.

He is a faithful and straightforward man, but some people don't like him. I like him just fine.

Clustering has been going on in the AOD for a while. In fact family friend Fr. Bob McCabe was featured in the Free Press today. He presides over 3 parishes in the city of Detroit.

Other than the article quoting the token ignorant-of-the-Church-and-her-Founder-and- History Catholic who wants women priests, it is a great article that is certainly worth reading.
It sheds some light on the clustering and closing going on in the AOD, and has the pertinent facts.

Last week, Cardinal Adam Maida announced that 65 parishes must submit plans to realign into 31 clusters by year's end. As the number of priests continues to decline -- just 315 are actively working now in parishes -- so will the number of parishes. Maida said 306 parishes will shrink to 290 or fewer within two years.

Juggling act

The archdiocese already has 27 clusters involving 61 parishes. Some view the arrangements as a burden for priests. That's because the pastor must balance two or three of everything -- budgets, parish councils, choirs, office staff and the needs of the faithful. And clustering is often the first step toward a merger that will mean the death of one or more of the churches.

...
In the metro area, there is about one priest for every 2,900 Catholics. The ratio is more favorable in Detroit and its older suburbs because of the migration of Catholics to outlying areas, but those parishes are more vulnerable to clustering.


Perhaps this article with the prompting of the Holy Spirit will lead Holy men young and old alike to consider more deeply the vocation of Priest or Deacon.

Not that I am especially holy or anything, but the need in the AOD is becoming clearer to me. Let's just say I won't be getting married anytime soon.

-Andrew

1 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You da man's manly man-man. Hey I just had a larger than normal glass of port but really your post is right on. UF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home